Let Leeds Read! – Volunteers required
Scan me or visit www.beckett.education/o/Leeds-Beckett-University/opportunities/Let-Leeds-Read--Volunteers-required/41452 to join
SummaryWe are looking for students who are willing to volunteer for 1 or 2 hours per week in a local primary school to help with our University outreach programme.
Let Leeds Read. The programme is aimed at year 1 and 2 students who need extra support with their phonics knowledge and reading skills.
You would attend an online training session run by the Access and Widening Participation Team to give you more information about the scheme and to help you prepare for the sessions. You would then go into a school on a weekly basis to work with a specific small group of year 1 or 2 children. You would deliver two 30-minute sessions to two groups of students either alone or with another volunteer (this is your choice). You would lead games and activities to improve the children’s knowledge of phonics and their reading ability.
· Logistics: We will provide you with taxis from your home in the Leeds area or campus to the school and back. If you live in another City outside of Leeds you will need to make your own way to the school.
· Timeframe: end of May – 23rd July. You must have a minimum of three consecutive weeks within these dates to volunteer with us.
· Days and Times: flexible. You may want to do a weekly session for 6-8 weeks, or you may want to do 2 or 3 sessions each week for a shorter time period – e.g. 3 or 4 weeks.
· Year group: year 1 or 2 children who need additional support with their reading or phonics skills.
· Frequency: Minimum of one session a week but you may wish to do more.
· Session Outline: You would have 30 minutes with a group of children to carry out phonics games and activities and then another 30 minutes with a different group of children. The activities may be given by the school teachers for you to carry out or you may devise your own activities and sessions.
This is a great opportunity for you to increase your experience and connections in local schools and also to practise your own phonics teaching. Our previous volunteers have really enjoyed being part of the scheme.
If you are interested in becoming involved in the project please fill in your details on the link below: